Enjoy these Red Bean Caramelized Onion Tacos! Come Friday and we’re out of food in our fridge. Tacos are one of my favorite go-tos for an delicious, easy and nutritious meal.
I like to serve these with a side of spinach salad or a cabbage salad. Honestly, I don’t enjoy eating beans on their own – the caramelized onions add a sweetness that brings out the flavor of the beans and neutralizes their mushy texture. I love to add Cholula Chili & Garlic hot sauce to mine, too! When it comes to a grocery budget, you can’t beat the affordability of beans – all the red beans in this recipe cost me about eighty cents! Tortillas are also affordable.
Recipe for Red Bean Caramelized Onion Tacos
- 6 Corn or Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 2.5 cups red beans, cooked or canned from dry.
- 2 sweet or yellow onions, halved and sliced thin
- 1 avocado
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil. Swish the pan to coat.
- Add the onions and cook on medium heat until they're translucent.
- Add 2 tbspwater to the pan and continue to cook the onions on medium heat, five to ten minutes more.
- Add the beans, spices and water. Mix.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the beans are heated. Meanwhile, heat your tortillas in the oven for 3 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove both the tortillas and the beans from heat.
- Place the beans mixture into the tortillas and top with the avocado and tomatoes.
Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.
Rate this recipe: