Are you dairy free? Paleo? Try this – it’s a dairy and sugar free paleo hot chocolate, without using any artificial sweeteners or chemical junk!
It uses canned coconut milk instead of regular milk. The medjool dates add a nice caramel flavor to the cocoa. They’re also naturally sweet! I think a lot of the flavor depends on the Cocoa powder you use. My favorites are Ghirardelli’s Cocoa Powder and Hershey’s Special Dark CoCoa Powder.
*Note: Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder has a disclaimer on the container saying that their special dark blend does not contain as many antioxidants as the regular blend.
This is a whole food recipe. I think you will enjoy your paleo hot chocolate!
As a side note, nothing says you HAVE to add the dates to this. My 3 year old will drink his completely unsweetened and still thinks it’s a special treat. Likewise, my husband has a taste for savory things and loves having it without the dates! I’d say no sugar means that’s REALLY paleo!
It’s also really good cold – it’s paleo chocolate milk!
Paleo Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 3 tablespoons canned coconut milk (make sure you shake it first so the cream is mixed evenly throughout the coconut milk - you may even want to blend it briefly, first)
- ¾ cup water
- 3 soft pitted Medjool dates
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Put all the ingredients in a blender (Vitamix!!) and puree until very smooth. If you have a Vitamix, then turn slowly turn to Variable 10, then High and leave it on until the liquid is hot.
- If not, transfer it to a pot and heat it until it's just warm.
Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.
Rate this recipe: