I love this Green Bean and Feta Salad! Labor Day weekend of last year brought my husband and I to the city of Avalon on Catalina Island, a beautiful island community about 26 miles off the Southern California coast. I came away from the weekend completely relaxed, having enjoyed hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, dolphins, seals and this green bean & feta salad!
I had this salad during lunch at the Metropole Cafe in Avalon and immediately fell in love! I’ve never been a big fan of green beans – I would pick them off of my plate as a kid and only have rarely eaten them as an adult. This salad, however, was hearty and zesty. I wanted to recreate the Metropole green bean & feta salad at home.
Enjoy my version of the Metropole Green Bean & Feta Salad
Green Bean and Feta Salad Recipe
- 12 Oz Fresh Green Beans, cut to bite-appropriate pieces and trimmed as necessary.
- 2-4 Medium Stalks of Chives (aka Green Onion), cut on the diagonal into thin slices [I used 3 stalks]
- ½ Cup Plain Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest (zest the lemon first and then squeeze the juice)
- 1 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- To Taste or ¾ tsp. salt (I used sea salt)
- To Taste or ½ tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- Bring a small pot of water to boil, large enough to blanch your beans. Prepare the dressing as the water boils.
- Drop the beans into the boiling pot of water and allow them to cook for 3-4 minutes. Your beans should remain crisp and green, not soggy and grey.
- Strain the green beans, rinse with cold water until cool and blot dry with a towel or whirl in a salad spinner. I found that I needed to put the beans in the refrigerator for ~5 minutes to cool them completely.
- Combine the green beans, green onions and dressing. Mix until the beans are evenly coated.
- Add the feta cheese crumbles to your mixture. Mix until the feta cheese is evenly distributed.
- Serve immediately or chill until you are ready to serve.
- NOTE: I think that this salad is best at room temperature or slightly chilled, so consider removing the salad from the refrigerator for a few minutes before serving it.
Other Suggestions to improve this Green Bean and Feta Salad:
– Add chopped cherry or grape tomatoes.
– Substitute green onions/chives for thinly sliced rings of red onion.
– My husband decided to add raw chopped spinach to his and really enjoyed it.
Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.
Rate this recipe: