I love simple. With two kids and an ambitiously complicated life, I need simple. I also need nutrition, and this purple cabbage salad is certainly nutritious!
This is one of my favorite simple salads – packed with COLOR! That means vitamins, minerals and antioxidants! Make sure you cut the cabbage small enough – otherwise, you won’t enjoy the texture. While purple cabbage is more expensive than green cabbage, it’s still very affordable per pound. It keeps well in the refrigerator. Even better, conventional cabbage is grown with very little pesticide. That means you don’t need to spring the extra cash for organic cabbage.
Do not make the mistake of thinking this is a snacky poo salad that you will be able to serve to a picky eater… this is a straight up, unapologetic vegetable dish. There is nothing to disguise the flavor of the vegetables! However, the combination of olive oil and salt enhances the vegetables and makes it TASTY!
Recipe for Purple Cabbage Salad
I like to serve this at room temperature. I think it’s nice alongside a well prepared lean, red meat and a small portion of baked potato. It must be my Polish heritage – Steak, potatoes and cabbage just go together to me. Like this recipe? Make sure to pin it for later!
- 1 small head of purple cabbage, chopped small or cut thin (slaw style)
- 2 avocados, cut into ½" pieces.
- 1 red pepper, diced into small pieces
- ⅔ cup corn kernels (frozen is fine)
- ⅓ cup quality olive oil
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to taste (1 teaspoon +)
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and toss to combine.