This is a new favorite for my family and I – my toddler loves it, too. We use it for dipping vegetables, in wraps or sandwiches and by the spoonful. I’ve seen organic white bean hummus sold for as much as $7 per container in stores – make it yourself and save!
White beans are packed full of protein and slow-digesting carbohydrates, which are both part of a balanced diet. Extra Virgin Olive Oil adds healthy fats, too!
- 2 Cups White Beans, Rinsed (Cannellini or Great Northern Beans will both do)
- 1 Head Garlic, roasted in the oven until soft
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Water, Plus Extra to Make it Thinner for Your Blender/Tastes
- Juice of One Small Lemon
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ Cup Tahini / Substitute Roasted Sesame Seeds if you have a very good blender.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until creamy. You may need to add more water, depending how moist your beans were to start - otherwise, the hummus can be too thick and stop the blender from working effectively.
- Other suggestions to mix it up - Add
- /2 cup fresh Basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh, chopped Rosemary or thyme.
- Serving Suggestions:
- Spread on Toast or Sandwiches. I like it with tuna and ezekiel bread, to make a hummus-and-tuna-melt!
- Serve with vegetables for dipping.
- Eat with a spoon!